11 September 2008

Expansion vs. consolidation: Bringing oneself to account each day

I find that in my studies this maxim can be very useful, in that I sometimes forget which subjects I have already covered (showing a lack of consolidation). At times I may be too eager to expand my knowledge without conscious attention to consolidating what was previously learned.

These two quotations seem to reflect the principle at work here:

O SON OF BEING! Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds.

- Bahá’u’lláh, The Hidden Words, A31


Whoso ariseth among you to teach the Cause of his Lord, let him, before all else, teach his own self, that his speech may attract the hearts of them that hear him... Take heed, O people, lest ye be of them that give good counsel to others but forget to follow it themselves.

- Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings p. 277

No comments: